7 Benefits of Acupuncture for Back Pain
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese natural therapy to provide relief from pain, treat illnesses, prevent diseases and improve physical wellbeing. It involves inserting tiny, hair-width needles into specific points in your body to stimulate and activate your body’s natural healing processes. It is effective in treating headaches, migraines, back pain, hip pain and sports injuries. It is also effective in treating anxiety, insomnia, infertility and many other physiological and psychological conditions. One of the areas that acupuncture is much sought after is for the treatment of lower back pain, which is caused by biomechanical stresses and chronic emotional stresses. The former includes adopting a bad posture while standing and walking, lifting heavy objects and sitting for long periods. The latter includes anxiety, frustration, anger and depression.
Acupuncture for back pain focuses on easing the pain and providing permanent relief. The process has several benefits.
- Provides relief from back pain: This is, of course, the main reason you will receive acupuncture. A report of the study published by Archives of Internal Medicine stated that people who received simulated acupressure, in which pressure was applied instead of actually inserting needles, saw as much as 15% improvement than people who were taking medication.
- Improves digestion: Acupuncture therapy has been found to alleviate heartburn and improve digestion. In a study done in Brazil on pregnant women, 75% of the women who received acupuncture saw a decline in the intensity of heartburn. The same study showed that only 44% of the women who received standard treatment saw the same result.
- Increases the effectiveness of medicine: Acupuncture for back pain has been found to increase the effectiveness of certain medicine. In a study done in China, it was discovered that a low dose of Prozac (fluoxetine) in combination with acupuncture was as effective in treating depression as a full dose of the medicine without acupuncture. Acupuncture therapy was also found to boost the effectiveness of the medicines to combat weight gain, nausea and decreased sex drive.
- Provides relief from persistent headache: No less than 22 studies have found out that acupuncture therapy is effective in providing relief from migraines and tension headaches. In fact, this is one of the main reasons that many people receive the treatment.
- Counteracts the side effects of radiation: Studies done by the American Cancer Society on the effects of radiation treatment have found that acupuncture is effective in counteracting the side effects of radiation. It didn’t completely remove the side effects, but lessened their intensity.
- Fights obesity: In 31 studies involving 3,013 people in South Korea, it was discovered that acupuncture is effective in causing weight loss in obese people. However, the long term effects were found to be inconclusive.
- Provides relief from stress: Acupuncture therapy is effective in providing relief from biomechanical and emotional stresses which are the chief causes of many illnesses, including back pain.
Acupuncture for back pain is a safe, painless and highly effective natural therapy for lower back pain and many other illnesses and diseases. It has been accepted in the Western world for over half a century as an effective treatment for a variety of pain and illnesses. Its growing worldwide popularity is proof that this natural therapy actually works.
Start your road to recovery and call us today to book your appointment. We would be happy to answer any questions about acupuncture treatment.