Bromelain Health Benefits
All living cells from simple organisms to humans depend on catalytic proteins called enzymes in order to grow, divide, and function normally. All living "systems" must have a healthy interaction of enzymes that are either synthesized from components of water, food and other nutritional supplements or from the breakdown products of tissues. Bromelain is a mixture of enzymes that aid in the digestion of protein and it has many health benefits.
Where Is Bromelain Found?
Bromelain is found naturally in the juice and stems of pineapples and as a result is often referred to as the pineapple enzyme. Interestingly, the pineapple belongs to the Bromeliaceae family, from which the enzyme bromelain was named. Although bromelain is found only in pineapples, it is not in high enough doses to act as medicine.
Bromelain Health Benefits
This enzyme has been heralded as an anti-inflammatory agent. Bromelain has brought temporary relief from inflammation caused by muscle soreness, injury, arthritis and even surgery. Some carpal tunnel syndrome patients have stated that they feel a reduction of numbness, aching, and tingling after taking bromelain. There have been many studies and although there appears to be mixed results, bromelain may also reduce bruising and healing time after surgery. Bromelain is often used to reduce inflammation due to sprains, strains, tendinitis and other minor muscle injuries.
Some naturopathic doctors have recommended that their patients take bromelain before and after
surgery and some suggest that pineapple dressings be applied to skin injuries (including wounds) to help reduce inflammation and promote quick healing. (Chiro-Med Rehab Centre recommends that you consult with a health professional before self-administering bromelain.)
Some studies have indicated that bromelain may actually help reduce cough and nasal mucus associated with sinusitis. In addition, it might even relieve inflammation caused by hay fever.
Other Health Benefits:
- Bromelain is well-recognized as a beneficial digestive aid. This mixture of enzymes not only
benefits better digestion; it can reduce or eliminate heartburn, gastric reflux, nausea, and other ailments related to improper digestion of foods.
- After extended use, bromelain has been noted to reduce blood pressure.
- Heart researchers have discovered that bromelain can reduce thrombus and that it is an
- When topically applied, bromelain lowers swelling and reduces pain associated with insect bites and stings.
- Bromelain has been used in alternative medicine to help reduce hemorrhoids, varicose veins,
chronic venous insufficiency, as well as other conditions of the veins.
- Many studies indicate that bromelain may prevent blood platelets from clotting.
- The immune system may be boosted. In many people who were studied, cytokines, hormones in the immune system, increased when given bromelain.
- Although not studies on humans yet, animal studies indicate that bromelain possesses anti-
bacterial and anti-viral effects that may help in relieving symptoms of urinary tract infections,
bronchitis and pneumonia.
The health professionals at Chiro-Med Rehab Centre in Richmond Hill are excited about the new
research that is emerging about all the health benefits of bromelain. Bromelain as an anti-inflammatory has helped many people with tendonitis, sore muscles, arthritis and.
If you suffer from an inflammatory health ailment book an appointment with Chiro-Med Rehab Centre and let their professionals put you on the road to good health.
For questions, guidance, or more information, call us at any time!
We accept all extended health care insurances, motor vehicle accidents and W.S.I.B.