Herniated Disc Treatment Options
Back pain is a common chronic condition in Canada, with approximately 4 out of 5 Canadians suffering from some type of occurrence in their lives. For a high percentage of those individuals, a herniated disc is to blame. Although some Canadians with a herniated disc will experience temporary pain that subsides in a short period of time, others suffer immense or ongoing pain and other complications that require professional herniated disc treatment. Fortunately, if you or your loved one is suffering from a herniated disc, there are numerous treatment options available.
Non-Surgical Herniated Disc Treatment
In most cases, non-surgical treatments are the optimal solution to relieve your disc pain. Depending on the severity of your symptoms and the condition itself, your treatment plan could include just one, or a combination of herniated disc treatment methods. Common non-surgical methods include:
- Medications: Anti-inflammatory medications and other types of drugs may be recommended to some patients to help relieve pain. It is important to remember, however, that medications alone will not cure your herniated disc- they are simply used to help control your symptoms. Therefore, medications are typically used in combination with other treatment options.
- Exercise: While a day or so of rest may be required to alleviate the pain that is associated with your herniated disc, long periods of inactivity are not typically beneficial, and could actually impede the healing process. To help improve strength, flexibility, speed up the healing process and reduce the chances of re-injury, exercises that can be performed in clinic and at home may be prescribed.
- Massage Therapy: Various types of massage therapy are commonly used to reduce swelling, increase circulation, relieve tension and decrease pain in patients with herniated discs. While the relief experienced from massage therapy is frequently temporary, many sufferers find that it benefits them greatly, especially in the first few weeks after the injury. This type of treatment is often used as part of a larger herniated disc treatment plan.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is an excellent option to provide pain relief to herniated disc patients. One of the oldest healing techniques practiced, acupuncture is often combined with other treatments as part of your herniated disc recovery plan. Multiple acupuncture treatments are often required to achieve long lasting pain relief.
- Hot and Cold Therapy: Hot and cold therapies each offer unique benefits for herniated disc sufferers. Your treatment plan may include either form of therapy by itself, or you may need to alternate between the treatments to achieve the best results. Moist heat therapy increases blood flow which delivers extra oxygen and nutrients to the targeted area to enhance healing. Cold therapy, on the other hand, decreases vascular flow in the targeted area. This helps reduce swelling. inflammation and pain.
- Spinal Decompression Therapy: Non-surgical decompression therapy is said to be the most effective treatment for herniated discs. This non-invasive treatment is convenient for patients, with sessions typically lasting just 20 to 30 minutes and requiring no recovery time. An innovative option for herniated disc sufferers, it is effective because it enlarges the space between the discs creating a negative pressure that enables the herniated material to return to its normal position.
These are just a few of the common herniated disc treatment options available. If you are suffering from back pain, impaired mobility or other symptoms of a herniated disc, contact Chiro-Med to schedule a free consultation. We will evaluate your unique condition and discuss the most effective solutions to help you achieve pain relief so you can get back to living the satisfying life you desire.